Saturday, December 08, 2007

Africian Blessings


Being blessed in the US is something I know I take for granted too often. The blessing of modern conveniences like technology, indoor plumbing, electricity and gas-operated appliances are simply a luxury in many parts of rural Africa. Even though I found myself missing many of these conveniences, which make my life much easier, they didn’t seem to matter much in the scope of what we were there to do. Building relationships aren’t contingent on electricity, indoor plumbing etc.; they are built by spending time together and sharing life.

Returning to Kipkaren and Ilula villages reminded me of the blessing of building relationships. Over the many days, I was consistently reminded of the luxury of simplicity. Much of our time was spent on building established relationships and developing new ones. It didn’t seem to make a difference if we had electricity, indoor plumbing or a TV to entertain us. We could sit by candlelight on Thanksgiving night telling of the many blessings God had so richly bestowed upon each of us over the past year. What did make a difference was the humble disposition I found my heart resting in.

Living a thankful life was a daily event I saw so many of my Kenyan friends executing. Maybe it was a quiet conversation with one of the children's home parents or a lively conversation with the Rono young adults. Blessings were difficult to miss and almost never ignored. Great is God’s faithfulness to all of His children.

No comments: